Saratoga Recycles Day!
Saturday, October 20th from 9 AM-2 PM
New Location! SPAC Parking Lot, west side of Route 50
Sponsored by Sustainable Saratoga
Re-purpose unwanted items. Protect the environment. Help the community.
Sustainable Saratoga’s first ever Saratoga Recycles Day in 2017 was an amazing success. We collected more than 11,000 pounds of textiles, at least 80 bikes, and tons of scrap metal, diverting these things from the landfill. We are excited to announce that we are doing it again this year. We are hoping to collect additional items this year, so check back often for a complete list of items we will be accepting.
Clothing & Household Textiles (any condition): clothes, coats, shoes, belts, hats, gloves, sleeping bags, backpacks, sheets, quilts, comforters, towels, rags, etc. NO pillows, carpeting, or rugs with rubber backing
Fabric & Notions: fabrics of all types and sizes, tools (scissors, pins), buttons, elastic, thread, buckles, zippers, fasteners, yarn of all types and quantities, trim, ribbon, lace, knitting needles, crochet hooks, and accessories. Clean materials only! NO mildew, animal or mothball odors, and no toxins on the materials. NO clothing at this station.
Electronics & Appliances: Refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, microwaves, dishwashers, toasters, blenders, coffee machines, hot plates, cable or satellite receivers, audio/visual equipment, cell phones, computers & accessories, printers, VCRs, DVD players, video game systems, wiring & cables, etc.
Bicycles & Metal Objects: Bikes, basketball hoops, grills, metal lawn care equipment, etc.
New! TVs and monitors can be recycled for $20 each
Note: There will be a $5 entrance fee per vehicle.
WE CANNOT ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- Rugs with rubber backing
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Toxic/hazardous materials
Click here for a copy of our 2018 updated local donation and recycling directory.
Volunteer – A volunteer sign up form will be available later in the summer
We will need volunteers (age 16 or older) to help keep traffic flowing smoothly and safely, and to assist with unloading vehicles. Closer to the event, we will ask that you please sign up to indicate your job and shift preferences. If you have any questions, send us an email: email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- It’s convenient. We’ll take your items that usually don’t get recycled, in any condition, with no sorting required. You won’t even get out of your car!
- Recycling is good for the environment and human health. We produce more than 254 million tons of trash every year in the U.S., which gets dumped in over 2,000 landfills that are leaking toxins into the surrounding environment and producing the greenhouse gas methane. Not to mention transporting trash creates pollution. No one wants that in their backyard!
- Your junk still has value. Unwanted clothing, shoes and backpacks will be donated to local organizations who distribute these items to people in need. Appliances and electronics contain valuable components that require energy to mine and manufacture; recycling them conserves our natural resources and avoids pollution, while helping private companies source materials sustainably.
- You’ll be contributing to programs that make our community more environmentally-conscious and sustainable. All funds raised will support our local initiatives, like our Tree Toga tree planting events, our backyard composting program, our advocacy work for affordable housing, and more!
To keep traffic flowing, please sort your item by the major collection stations. There will be “stations” set up in the parking lot: 1) TVs and monitors; 2) electronics, appliances, and metal objects; 3) bicycles for Bikeatoga; 4) sleeping bags and backpacks for Shelters of Saratoga; 5) men’s jeans & hoodies, and blankets for Backstretch; 6) fabric and notions; 7) all other clothing and textiles. As you enter the parking lot, a greeter will direct you to the appropriate station(s), and then volunteers will unload your vehicle at each station (please stay in your vehicle). We ask that you group your items by station to facilitate unloading, but you do NOT need to sort items further. For example, you can drop off a bag that contains wearable clothing, shoes, sheets and towels. To keep traffic flowing, our partners and volunteers will handle additional sorting after the event.
Please check in with us ahead of time if you are unsure about whether your item is acceptable. If we cannot accept an item, you will be responsible for taking it with you. We will provide you with any information we can about alternative ways for you to recycle/repurpose any items we cannot accept.
We are working with several local organizations and businesses to reuse/recycle donated items:
- Clothing & Textiles: Some clothing donations will go directly to the Prospect Center’s children & family programs serving Saratoga, Warren and Washington Counties; men’s jeans & hoodies, adult bikes, and blankets will be donated to B.E.S.T. to benefit backstretch workers at the Saratoga racetrack. Backpacks and sleeping bags will be donated to Shelters of Saratoga. All other clothing and textiles will be processed by the American Clothing Company (Glens Falls, NY) and redistributed globally for reuse. Textiles can be repurposed into products like dog bed filling or rug pads.
- Fabric & Notions: Some donated materials will be used to make quilts that will be donated to children in a local hospital and dog beds that will be donated to local animal shelters.
- Appliances, Electronics, and Scrap Metal: Donated items will be reused/repurposed by JGS Recycling (Albany, NY).
- Bicycles: Bikes in decent condition will be refurbished by Bikeatoga. All other bikes will be recycled as scrap metal.
No! Anyone is welcome to donate items, there are no residency restrictions.
We’ll be collecting items rain or shine! We’ll have volunteers helping to unload vehicles, so you can stay dry even if it’s raining.
We loved the organic way that our bike collection effort turned into an informal kids bike exchange. We will continue that tradition this year as well. So if you bring a bike and see another bike that you would like to trade for, that is fine with us.