The “HUP” Committee explores sustainability issues that affect both our built and conserved environments. The HUP Committee addresses a variety of factors that promote sustainability, including:
- “smart growth” land use policies and regulations
- development standards and guidelines
- economic development strategies
- protection of natural resources and the environment
- energy conservation measures
- affordable housing
- protection of community character
- quality of life issues relating to housing, recreation, transportation, public spaces, and open space
The HUP Committee explores these and other issues as the basis of recommendations to the Sustainable Saratoga Board of Directors. The overall goal is to enhance and promote communities’ sustainability goals.
The HUP Committee coordinates and works on various projects with other Sustainable Saratoga committees. Committee membership consists of both members of the Sustainable Saratoga Board of Directors and members of the community.
About the Housing and Urban Planning Committee
The Housing and Urban Planning (HUP) Committee has focused on monitoring the upcoming Comprehensive Plan process in Saratoga Springs. Sustainable Saratoga is represented on the committee that will be recommending changes to the Plan. Sustainable Saratoga will also work with that review committee by promoting its position paper: Ideas for a More Sustainable Comprehensive Plan for the City of Saratoga Springs.
The HUP Committee continues to explore ways to promote the development of workforce housing in the inner areas of Saratoga Springs.