Saratoga Recycles Day!
Saturday, October 20th from 9 AM-2 PM
SPAC Parking Lot, west side of Route 50
Sponsored by Sustainable Saratoga
Re-purpose unwanted items. Protect the environment. Help the community.
Last year’s Saratoga Recycles Day was an amazing success. We collected more that 11,000 pounds of textiles, at least 80 bikes, and tons of scrap metal, diverting these things from the landfill. We are excited to announce that we are doing it again this year. We are hoping to add additional vendors this year, so check back often for a complete list of items we will be accepting.
Clothing & Household Textiles (any condition): clothes, coats, shoes, belts, hats, gloves, purses, backpacks, sheets, quilts, comforters, towels, rags, etc.
Electronics & Appliances: Refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, microwaves, dishwashers, toasters, blenders, coffee machines, hot plates, cable or satellite receivers, audio/visual equipment, cell phones, computers & accessories, VCRs, DVD players, video game systems, wiring & cables, etc.
Bicycles & Metal Objects: Bikes, basketball hoops, grills, metal lawn care equipment, etc.
Note: There will be a $5 suggested donation per vehicle
At this time, we cannot accept: televisions, monitors, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, or toxic/hazardous materials
Please click here for a copy of our local donation and recycling directory.
Volunteer – A volunteer sign up form will be available later in the summer
We will need volunteers (age 16 or older) to help keep traffic flowing smoothly and safely, and to assist with unloading vehicles. Closer to the event, we will ask that you please sign up to indicate your job and shift preferences. If you have any questions, send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- It’s convenient. We’ll take your items that usually don’t get recycled, in any condition, with no sorting required. You won’t even get out of your car!
- Recycling is good for the environment and human health. We produce more than 254 million tons of trash every year in the U.S., which gets dumped in over 2,000 landfills that are leaking toxins into the surrounding environment and producing the greenhouse gas methane. Not to mention transporting trash creates pollution. No one wants that in their backyard!
- Your junk still has value. Unwanted clothing, shoes and backpacks will be donated to local organizations who distribute these items to people in need. Appliances and electronics contain valuable components that require energy to mine and manufacture; recycling them conserves our natural resources and avoids pollution, while helping private companies source materials sustainably.
- You’ll be contributing to programs that make our community more environmentally-conscious and sustainable. All funds raised will support our local initiatives, like our Tree Toga tree planting events, our backyard composting program, our advocacy work for affordable housing, and more!
The short answer is no. There will be “stations” set up in the parking lot: 1) electronics, appliances, and metal objects; 2) bicycles; 3) and clothing and textiles. As you enter the parking lot, a greeter will direct you to the appropriate station(s), and then volunteers will help unload your vehicle at each station. We ask that you group your items by station to facilitate unloading, but you do NOT need to sort items further. For example, you can drop off a bag that contains wearable clothing, shoes, sheets and towels. To keep traffic flowing, our partners and volunteers will handle additional sorting after the event.
We are working with several local organizations and vendors to reuse/recycle donated items:
- Clothing & Textiles: Some clothing donations will go directly to the Prospect Center’s children & family programs serving Saratoga, Warren and Washington Counties; other clothing items will be donated to B.E.S.T. to benefit backstretch workers at the Saratoga racetrack. Backpacks and winter coats will be donated to Shelters of Saratoga. All other clothing and textiles will be processed by the American Clothing Company (Glens Falls, NY) and redistributed globally for reuse. Textiles can be repurposed into products like dog bed filling or rug pads.
- Appliances, Electronics, and Scrap Metal: Donated items will be reused/repurposed by JGS Recycling (Albany, NY).
- Bicycles: Bikes in decent condition will be refurbished by Bikeatoga. All other bikes will be recycled as scrap metal.
No! Anyone is welcome to donate items, there are no residency restrictions
We’ll be collecting items rain or shine! We’ll have volunteers helping to unload vehicles, so you can stay dry even if it’s raining.