We’re looking for passionate people to join our growing team…
Our dedicated team is constantly working to amplify our local impact in service of our mission, and we need your help. If you are looking for rewarding work where you’ll have the opportunity to influence local policy and make Saratoga Springs a greener, more sustainable community, check out the job announcements below. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Manager, Operations & Community Relations (part-time position)
Are you a highly motivated self-starter looking to make an impact on environmental policy at the local level? Sustainable Saratoga is seeking an experienced professional, preferably with expertise in the fields of environmental advocacy and management, to assist with all aspects of our growing organization. Under the direction of the Chair of the Board of Directors, the Manager will help develop and implement strategies to optimize our organization’s effectiveness and improve community engagement. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working independently and constructively with Board members, community partners, and volunteers to realize our goals as we continue to transition from a volunteer-driven, grassroots coalition to a more mature not-for-profit organization that relies on paid staff.
This is a part-time position (approximately 20 hours/week) with room to grow for the right person. The position affords a flexible schedule and the opportunity to make a real difference in the community, while gaining valuable experience. The initial contract will be for a one-year period, subject to renewal. Compensation and benefits dependent upon experience and qualifications.
- Work closely with the Board to carry out Sustainable Saratoga’s (SuSa) plans, bylaws and policies. Develop a thorough understanding of organizational history and dynamics.
- Facilitate communication within and outside the organization. Coordinate with the Chair to ensure that external communications are consistent with the organization’s mission and past practices.
- Public Relations: Write public statements and correspondence consistent with the organization’s values and past practices. Serve as spokesperson for the Chair.
- Implement the organization’s Strategic Plan, and work with the Board to update the plan as needed.
- Represent SuSa at public meetings. Support and assist Program Committee chairs in their efforts.
- Report information about the organization activities to the Board. Advise Board on policy and program issues.
- Supervise the work of SuSa staff and consultants.
- Implement the development plan, write grants, and help develop relationships with major donors on SuSa’s behalf.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s is preferred. Major in environmental studies, with course work in administration/management.
- One or more years’ experience working with community-based non-profit organizations.
- One or more years’ experience in the field of environmental advocacy, policy analysis or research.
- Ability to identify feasible opportunities to make a difference in the Saratoga Springs community.
- Enthusiasm for and proven dedication to environmental sustainability or environmental justice is required.
How to Apply:
Please forward a resume, letter of interest, and writing sample to Art Holmberg (Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees) at email@example.com with “Manager, Operations & Community Relations” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Consultant, Communication & Outreach (part-time, temporary position)
Are you a real go-getter looking to gain experience in the field of sustainability and help make an impact in the Saratoga Springs community? Sustainable Saratoga is seeking a highly motivated person to assist with all aspects of the organization’s activities, with a particular emphasis on communications, event planning and execution, and programming support for volunteer-driven initiatives. We are looking for someone who can step into this critical role on a part-time basis (approximately 40 hours/month) from September 2017 through January 2018.
This position would be ideal for a recent graduate, but all candidates will be considered. We need someone who is comfortable working independently and constructively with volunteers and Board members. The consultant will serve under the direction of the Manager and/or Board Chair. Compensation and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Draft content and messaging in support of communications strategy, including emails to supporters, newsletters, social media posts, press releases, website updates, and fundraising appeals.
- Provide technical assistance to volunteer-driven initiatives including research, drafting outreach materials and presentations, facilitating communications, and planning events.
- In coordination with the Development Committee, research opportunities for fundraising and prepare fundraising proposals and materials as needed.
- Research and provide analysis on sustainability issues, and coordinate strategy with team members to maximize the organization’s impact.
- Actively seek to engage volunteers, and maintain a database of volunteer information, interests and activities.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree is a plus. Major in environmental studies, urban studies, strategic communications, or a related field.
- One or more years’ experience working in community-based not-for-profits.
- Experience with social media management, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Enthusiasm and proven dedication to environmental sustainability or environmental justice is required.
- Experience managing volunteers.
How to Apply:
Please forward resume, letter of interest, and writing sample to Art Holmberg (Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees) at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Consultant” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Clerk (part-time position)
Sustainable Saratoga is seeking a motivated and capable person to assist our dynamic team with various administrative duties. The Clerk will act in a vital role, providing general office support to the Manager, Consultant, and Board Chairperson. This is a part-time position (approximately 10-20 hours/month) that would be ideal for someone located in the Saratoga Springs area that is looking to work remotely. Compensation and benefits dependent upon experience and qualifications.
- Maintaining an organizational calendar that’s accessible to all staff and Board members.
- Processing and recording incoming correspondence, including donations, and tracking basic transactions.
- Maintaining Salesforce database of donor and volunteer information, data entry.
- Preparing basic reports, as required.
- Other general office tasks, as requested.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Access to a personal computer and the internet. (There will be no fixed office space available until 2018, at the earliest.)
- Computer proficiency, specifically experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with or willingness and ability to learn other programs including Salesforce, WordPress, MailChimp, Click & Pledge, and Quicken/QuickBooks is required.
- Ability to work independently, to multi-task, and follow tasks through to completion.
How to Apply:
Please forward a resume and letter of interest to Art Holmberg (Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees) at email@example.com with “Clerk” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.